"Kevin followed his passion. If you follow yours you Can't Miss."
This is the lesson that captures the journey of Kevin Pangos best. He had a passion and a goal and did everything in his power to achieve it. And achieve it he did. It's a hero's journey..
As Kevin announces his retirement after a stellar career in Europe and the NBA its hard not to reflect on what he has meant to so many Olympians, myself included.
The idea of Can't Miss came to me through a confluence of factors that made writing it a challenge I became excited to take on. At 16 Kevin had just been the youngest player to ever suit up for Canada's Senior Men's team on a tour of Italy while I was busy reading "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It hit me, that Kevin might be our version of what an outlier truly is. I knew Kevin and I knew that the next four years of his journey were going to life-changing and that the journey to his goal of playing in the NBA was just starting.
This fine young man, who I had known and admired since he and my son Daniel were running around Olympia Sports Camp like they owned the place even before they were old enough to be in session, was embarking on a journey that I followed for the next four years. I decided that Can't Miss would use as a template Long Shot: Steve Nash's Journey to the NBA, where the book explored Steve's path and ended the night of the NBA draft. My book would follow Kevin to Gonzaga and live Kevin's journey till draft day. And what a journey it was. I was made to feel welcomed and supported, especially by Zags assistant coach Tommy Lloyd.
To be honest Can't Miss is about all the people around Kevin as they impacted his journey. Kevin had some of the greatest coaches in Canada to work with; Roy Rana, Kyle Julius, Brent Evans, Jeff Giovannatti, Leo Rautins to name a few. He also benefitted from driveway 1v1 lessons from both dad and mom. But the greatest influences were the family values of former generations as the backbone for his work ethic. As I peeled back the onion that Kevin's story would bring I met grandparents whose heroism brought them from war-torn Europe to southern Ontario. I met uncle Jim Koudys, a role model for personal work ethic if there ever was one. Kevin was surrounded by accountability and love.
One of the great things about this story is the connection to Olympia.
Bill was a high school player for Dave Grace and was an original staff member, so the connection was deep. One summer Dave used an interview with Kevin as the centrepiece for his Dave Talks. Kevin's work ethic at camp was legendary and many Olympians can think of their favourite Kevin Pangos moment on the courts of Interlaken. He went from coach's kid to one of the best speakers at camp. My favourite story was the time on court when a crowd gathered on the field outside the fence and they were watching Kevin do the plank while being timed. Like 50 campers and coaches were just in awe at this maybe 10 year old kid staying in plank for over 10 minutes. You could see the intensity of focus that you saw whenever you watched him play. That's an outlier!
As Brent Evans once said, Kevin would represent himself, his family, and the university with class and that's what he did for four all-conference years at Gonzaga. I was lucky to take in so many moments and watch that the love Olympians had for Kevin had taken roots in Spokane. He was the player that every coach loved to watch, and the player every mother wanted for their daughter. Talent and class.
Kevin's journey did not end up in hearing his name called on draft night but in many ways this showed this athlete's true mettle. He went through NBA Summer League with Dallas and was offered a training camp spot or to play in the G League to keep his face and name in NBA circles, but Kevin decided that he had to get better so he took his talents to Gran Canaria of the EuroCup league and would then join the Euro league ( best league in the world outside the NBA) in Zalgiris, Barcelona and Zenit before signing a two-year contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He had made the NBA. He had reached his goal and the tough journey to get there made it all the sweeter. He would return to Europe and play for Milan, Valencia, Napoli & Erokspor.
One of the chapters in Can't Miss was about Kevin's connection to Olympia. I didn't know it at the time but that chapter, and the passion it created in Dave Grace, ultimately led to the writing of A Hero's Journey: Beyond Little Norway and Olympia Sports Camp. I used to say that Can't Miss was the journey of one person while A Hero's Journey was about the journey of hundreds.
That's not entirely true. We all have a village around us that can help us grow if we just let it happen. The Kevin Pangos story is about the journey of so many people that gave Kevin the guidance and opportunity to thrive. As the signature says, Kevin just had to follow his passion and let the process take care of whatever results came his way.
I leave the true impact of Kevin Pangos on those around him to Matt Nichol, a trainer of renown and a former Olympian himself who has the highest regard for anyone who is willing to work hard. In Kevin he saw the pinnacle. This is from an instagram message that Matt was more than happy to share. The lessons of the value of work are prevalent in this message, and is prevalent in the lives of these two kindred spirits. Thanks Matt.
Some people enter your life by chance. Others arrive exactly when they’re meant to.
I met Kevin Pangos 17 years ago at a low point in my personal life. At the same time I was rebuilding my business and I had promised myself one thing: I would only pour into athletes who would pour everything back. No half-measures. No maybes.
When my good friend Sam Gibbs called to tell me about this kid I ‘had to meet’, I told him my new standard. He laughed and said “Dont worry...you two are perfect for each other!” He was right and I am forever grateful for that.
From day one, I didn’t sell Kevin a dream. I gave him the math. I told him
“A 6-foot kid from Holland Landing Ontario doesn’t make it by matching the best. If you just do that you don’t stand a chance. He doesn’t even make it by outworking them while walking the same road. He makes it by carving a new road no one else would think to take.” Kevin looked me dead in the eye that day and said “I promise you, I will do whatever it takes.” Lots have said that. He truly meant it.
We did every conceivable exercise you could do in a gym but it went WAYYY beyond that....He dribbled blindfolded, shot through strobe glasses, sprinted with Olympic track coaches, walked on slacklines...He chased every method most athletes would laugh off: breathwork, eldoa, yoga, pilates, feldenkrais and countless others. If there was an edge to be found, we looked for it.
Talent opens the door.
Obsession keeps you in the room.
Here’s the truth most coaches rarely admit: we are only as good as the athletes willing to trust us. Kevin gave me that trust, and surrendered fully to the process.
Most athletes leave the game wondering “what if.”
Kevin, you never will.
You emptied the tank. You left no stone unturned. You can walk away with nothing left on the table and your head held high.
No regrets. No what-ifs.
Just a life’s work, fully given.
Congrats on incredible career. It has truly been an honour to walk this road beside you. Thank you, brother. 🏀🙏
As Father Tony said, Kevin's journey is to be continued. We wish him and his beautiful family every success and happiness as the next chapter begins.



Comments
Post a Comment